Goodbye 2020. It has been a year of enormous upheaval, and it feels like it’s goneby in the blink of an eye. 10 months (and counting) of Covid-19, 2 x national lockdowns and countless pivots. Given the circumstances it's amazing what has been achieved in the face of such adversity. The UK5G Team are certainly ready for a well-earned rest! The membership of UK5G has grown to over 3,800 individuals drawn from 1,600 organisations.
2020 highlights include:
- promoting the 5G Create competition which led to an unprecedented number of high quality applications to the DCMS. Some of these exciting projects are still to be announced;
- supporting the sterling work of the busy UK5G Working Groups and Advisory Board and the events and activities they stimulated;
- strengthening our relationships with numerous associate partners and friends - like the Digital Catapult, WM5G, the Scottish 5G Centre, techUK and many more;
- delivering and contributing to 13 events during a packed 5G Week in September; overall we promoted 170 events throughout the year (only 14% were physical events);
- launching the 5G Supplier Directory which currently has 94 vendors featured - from small companies and consultancies, incumbent UK companies like BluWireless, new entrants to the UK like Mavenir, right the way through to global corporations like Ericsson, Nokia, Vodafone, BT and Deloitte to name but a few;
- working with DCMS to support the collaboration efforts taking place across the 5G Testbeds & Trials Programme;
- publishing three editions of the UK5G Innovation Briefing Magazine - now made available in a digital format (flickread) as well as a printed edition (view back issues here)
- launching the CGI White Paper exploring opportunities in the water sector
- supporting Raconteur and MediaPlanet with 5G Special detailed supplements, appearing in the Times Newspaper and Guardian, respectively.
What to expect in 2021?
- We will continue to send you regular news from the UK5G community with fortnightly newsletters. Alongside our partners within DCMS and DIT, we're having conversations with GSMA about Mobile World Congress 2021, plus other events scheduled throughout the year. Stay tuned!
- We’ll be working hard to assist collaborations between trials, with significant efforts going into bringing the numerous projects together, and presenting them to the rest of the world using a number of channels - including, of course, the Innovation Briefing magazine;
- Expect an increasing focus on demand-side applications and industry sectors, explaining the benefits of 5G technology;
- And we’ll continue to help the DCMS and the eco-system deliver against the 5G Supply Chain Diversification Strategy.
But we just wouldn’t be able to do any of this without the amazing support of the wider network. We are very grateful for the work of so many people - so much of it provided pro-bono.
Thank you to everyone.
In fact, to celebrate the contributions from network we will be launching a “Better Connected” campaign in January - expect to see quotes a plenty from the 5G community.
As part of this campaign the Creative Industries Working Group are launching a podcast series. If you're subscribed to our mailings, we'll let you know once episode 1 is live.
Also... ICYMI: A mammoth issue 4 of the Innovation Briefing Magazine dropped virtually last week. Here it is again in case you missed it...simply click the cover below.
Finally we'll be out of the office from 22nd December to 4th January.
Merry Christmas and let us hope that 2021 offers a refreshed beginning for us all!