Building on the experiences of the Liverpool 5G testbed, this report highlights how 5G can benefit the sector; from transforming some ways patients interact with their own healthcare management, to enabling healthcare professionals to remotely monitor patients. It also contains six recommendations to Government on how to effectively harness 5G in health and social care:
- Accelerate the deployment of 5G to the majority of the country, enabling UK consumers and businesses to take early advantage of the benefits.
- Support the uptake of digital health tools to the general public by a) utilising government data and communication channels to promote the benefits of digital health tools and b) reviewing how the personal budgets programme could better support the uptake of personal digital technology.
- Foster knowledge exchange between DCMS and thqe Department of Health and Social Care to embed knowledge, experience and expertise on the potential of 5G into the newly formed NHSX.
- Ensure that the new NHS England app allows the public to access data beyond that held in primary care – and promote the ability to do so.
- Provide health and social care professionals in the community with 5G technology, particularly in rural areas with limited health and social care provision, where consumer options for getting online are also limited.
- Ensure the NHS can capitalise on developments in AI, Genomics, 5G, and Blockchain technology.