The UK Government’s Digital Strategy states that ‘We want the UK to take a leading role in the development and roll-out of 5G'. The aims of the DCMS 5G Testbed & Trials Programme include fostering the development of the UK’s 5G eco-system to ensure that the UK and UK businesses are well placed to maximise the efficiency and productivity benefits of 5G by:
- Creating opportunities for UK businesses, including SMEs, to develop new 5G applications and services that they can market at home and overseas.
- Creating a forum where 5G best practice and knowledge from across the UK can be shared and a clear brand for the UK’s 5G activities.
DCMS has identified three focussed activity areas in support of these international 5G aims:
- Learnings - Learn from 5G approaches taken globally to inform our 5G Testbed & Trials Programme, 5G policy and help to shape the wider UK 5G eco-system.
- Trade and Investment - Help to stimulate the 5G eco-system in the UK - and benefit to the UK overall - by exploring opportunities to create and expand footprints of 5G-related UK businesses overseas and helping to encourage appropriate inward investment into the UK 5G eco-system.
- Perception – Gauge how the UK is viewed globally as one of the leading countries in 5G.
The objectives of this working group are likely to evolve over time, but in the short/medium term, they will include:
- Development of UK proposition: advice and support to Department for International Trade (DIT) and Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) in developing the UK’s 5G offer, to support their trade and investment activity.
- Development of engagement plan with overseas government and industry bodies
- Development of engagement plan at UK and overseas trade fairs and events
The application process for this Working Group has closed. Participants will be announced shortly.
Working group champions
Simon FletcherCTOReal Wireless
Simon takes responsibility for overall technical and innovation strategy at Real Wireless. In the UK5G Advisory Board he leads the International Engagement Working Group, and has recently signed an MoU with South Korea on behalf of UK5G.
Sylvia Lu5G Tech Leadu-blox
An award winning Engineer, non-executive director, advisor and ambassador, combining technology and strategic expertise with a solid understanding of the Telecom and vertical industries.
Mike ShortChief Scientific AdviserDepartment for International Trade