The SmartRAN Open Network Interoperability Centre (SONIC) was announced as part of DCMS’ 5G Diversification Strategy, a joint activity between Digital Catapult and Ofcom to create a platform for existing and emerging suppliers to test interoperability and integration of open and software centric networking solutions, starting with Open RAN.
SONIC is funded by the UK government and Ofcom as part of the 5G Diversification Strategy to help achieve a vision of a more open, competitive and diverse telecoms supply chain. SONIC will demonstrate and foster a disaggregated network ecosystem in the UK with multiple suppliers for each element in the technology stack. As well as addressing diversification, SONIC will also help accelerate innovation in telecoms networks with the move to open and software centric architectures.
SONIC will be live and operational from May 2021, and evolve over time to inform the broader national telecoms capability and other large scale pilots.
This webinar will be of interest to:
- Companies with Open RAN products in development who could use the centre for integration and interoperability testing
- Startups and scaleups developing early stage Open RAN products and are looking for ways to mature and improve their offer
- Large businesses who are interested in leveraging networks for future deployment
- Open RAN and 5G vendors, system integrators, network operators and infrastructure providers looking to collaborate with SONIC and with each other
- Government and public organisations who wish to understand more about Open RAN and its potential for the UK
This webinar provides the perfect opportunity to hear first-hand how to engage with SONIC and get updates on its future development as it evolves into a national capability program from May 2021.