The Global Business Innovation Programme –5G is organised by Innovate UK and delivered by Innovate UK EDGE. It consists of a four-day innovation visit focussed on Japan’s thriving cellular technology system, including a post-visit exploitation workshop, along with support for approximately 12 months from an Innovate UK EDGE Innovation and Growth Specialist.
The programme is designed to help your business maximise the opportunities identified, including developing innovation projects with partners in the territory.
Innovate UK is committed to ensuring that anyone from any background, has an equal opportunity to be successful.
5G is a significant catalyst for future innovation and economic growth. An opportunity exists for UK and Japanese companies to collaborate, invest, and support the growth of 5G technology.
This initiative is particularly relevant for businesses that focus on the diversification of the UK’s 5G ecosystem, including enhanced cybersecurity, speed of deployment and a reduction in the integration barriers.
The key considerations will be on:
- Open RAN and openness within 5G telecoms
- Industrial uses of 5G technology including IoT
- Private and localised 5G
Japan is embracing 5G and is expected to become the dominant force in cellular technology by 2026.
The country is leading the way in cellular technology, with the Japanese multi-national company SoftBank aiming to deploy over 50,000 5G base stations to target 90% of the population by March 2022.
The partnership is an opportunity for innovative UK businesses to collaborate with partners in Japan around the application of 5G innovation.
- Explore future cellular technology opportunities
- Gain a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities of doing business in Japan
- Find potential innovation collaborators and partners to develop your network in the UK and globally
- Improve your company value proposition to international partners
WHAT TO EXPECT:
The Global Business Innovation Programme is structured around three main phases. Each business will have a designated Innovate UK EDGE Innovation and Growth Specialist to support them for the duration of the offering, including developing an action plan to capitalise on the opportunities identified. The three main phases are:
- Getting ready for the market: Pre-activity briefing workshop and sessions to build knowledge and understanding of the Japanese market and potential opportunities, including how to do business, cultural aspects, how to protect your IP and improve your pitch.
- Visiting the market: Explore the innovation opportunities in Japan through meetings with key companies and potential collaborators and partners (four-day in-market visit).
- Exploiting the opportunity: An exploitation workshop and one-to-one support from an Innovate UK EDGE Innovation and Growth Specialist to follow up and take advantage of the opportunities identified.
TO APPLY FOR THIS INITIATIVE, YOU MUST:
- Be a UK-based innovation- led company with ambitions to grow and internationalise.
- Be a company with fewer than 500 employees.
- Be able to attend and complete all activities.
WHAT IS THE COST?
Innovate UK and Innovate UK EDGE will fund and organise flights, accommodation, and conference fees for successful applicants. Innovate UK will also pay for any reasonable adjustments throughout the initiative. Only one representative from each company will be funded. On acceptance, a commitment fee of £500 will be obtained from each delegate, which will be refunded on completion of the full activities and agreed action plan. Non-completion after formal acceptance may result in forfeiting some or all the commitment fee.
HOW TO APPLY?
The Global Business Innovation Programme has a competitive application process where only the best applications will be successful following an evaluation process. All applications must be made online through the Innovate UK EDGE website and received no later than Monday 31 January 2022 at 3pm.
Innovate UK is committed to improving the diversity of who we support. As such, we welcome applications from under-represented groups.