The Global Digital Economy is expanding rapidly, with significant implications for all business sectors, and the deployment of 5G communications technologies is a key part of the digital future.
Regional business advisors are invited to join a workshop sponsored by UK5G, the national advisory body for the UK’s national 5G support programme. We will have senior representatives present from DCMS and a number of key external speakers who will give a non-technical description of 5G, a synopsis of relevant programmes already taking place in the UK and case studies demonstrating early business applications of 5G.
The specific focus of this workshop will be Digital Manufacturing/Industry 4.0. There will be ample time for discussion and Q&A with time also to talk about practical ways in which SMEs can start to get involved and to build their awareness in readiness for the roll-out of 5G.
- Provide business advisers with up to date connect of what 5G is and what opportunities it may hold for SMEs involved in the manufacturing sector or in the sector supply chains via relevant case study presentations.
- To hear from experienced 5G/Digital Adviser practitioners already working with SMS and start-ups about their practical experience as to what actually works in helping SMEs engage. (Perhaps via panel session?)
- Provide an interactive workshop session so that business advisers can work through what tools, advice and connections they may require to help with their particular SME
This will be the first of a series of events taking place across the UK, covering different regions and business sectors.
Feedback from this session will be used to tailor future events.
Programme (Subject to Change)
- 10:00 Arrivals and registration
- 10:30 Welcome and intro
- 5G familiarisation – For a non-specialist audience
- 10:40 Non-technical overview of what 5G is, how it is different from 4G, UK Landscape global digitalisation trends etc
- 10:50 Q&A
- 11:00 Case study on Worcestershire 5G from perspective of Bosch and Mazak as two major international companies on relevance of 5G to their businesses and potential opportunities for SMEs in their supply chains.
- 11:10 Second case study related to manufacturing/massive IoT
- 11:20 Short review of international position, opportunities and potential competition –
- 11:30 Q&A
- 11:40 Networking lunch break
Case studies and discussion on how to best to engage SMEs
- 12:20 SME Incubation and 5G Engagement experience - 5min case studies
- 12:40 Panel session. Experienced practitioners will answer questions about engaging SMEs in 5G and the more general Digital agenda
- 13:10 Interactive breakout workshop sessions with business advisers on how to organise links for them and their SMEs to relevant 5G initiatives and sources of information
- 14:40 Summary & Close
Places are limited and intended for those working in Regional Government, Local Authorities and LEPs who are tasked with providing training to companies within the industry 4.0 space.
Further information about this event can be found here.