MWC Barcelona (formerly known as Mobile World Congress), the world’s biggest and most influential mobile event — it typically attracts more than 100,000 visitors from more than 200 countries and territories — was scheduled to take place from 24-27 February 2020.
However, on February 12th the GSMA canceled the event: "With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country today, the GSMA has cancelled MWC Barcelona 2020 because the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances, make it impossible for the GSMA to hold the event."
For the past 10+ years, Women in Telecoms & Technology has hosted a post-MWC event to provide news and views from the show for those of us who weren't able to make it to Barcelona. Rather than cancel our own event, we've chosen to carry on and to discuss:
- the reasons for MWC's cancellation and how the GSMA coped with the disruption;
- announcements that would have been made at the show / were subsequently made;
- developments in MWC's planned areas of focus : 5G networks, the Internet of Things (IoT), intelligent connectivity, security and resilience and more.
WiTT founder Stephanie Liston, Senior Counsel at Mishcon de Reya, will lead our panel. We are delighted to announce that she will be joined by:
- Dr. Mike Short, Chief Scientific Adviser at the Department for International Trade; and
- Geraldina Iraheta, Director Of Business Development, Digital Catapult;
- Other speakers will be announced closer to the date.
The evening will run as follows:
- 6:00-7:00pm: drinks & networking
- 7:00-8:00pm: panel
- 8:15: wrap-up and more networking.
As a special treat, the evening will include tours of the Catapult's Future Networks Lab.
WiTT would like to thank the Digital Catapult for hosting this event.
We look forward to seeing you on March 30th.
The WiTT Board
Annette, Audrey, Helen, Michelle, Stephanie and Yasmeen
PLEASE NOTE: THS EVENT IS FREE TO ATTEND, BUT WE WILL CHARGE REGISTRANTS WHO ARE NOT WITT MEMBERS OR GUESTS £10 ON REGISTRATION. AFTER THE EVENT, THIS FEE WILL BE REFUNDED FOR ALL WHO ATTENDED. HOWEVER, IF YOU REGISTER BUT DO NOT ATTEND, WE WILL RETAIN THE £10. THIS IS TO ENSURE THAT WE MEET THE CATAPULT'S REQUIREMENTS REGARDING EVENT FEES AND TO BE CERTAIN WE HAVE SUFFICIENT SPACE FOR ALL WHO DO WISH TO ATTEND. WE HAVE FOUND THAT COMPLETELY FREE EVENTS OFTEN LEAD TO A LARGE NUMBER OF NO-SHOWS. WE HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND.