“International Working Group" is now looking for contributors.
Today, UK5G announces the launch of the International Working Group which has been setup to understand specific needs and challenges in the UK 5G eco-system and to develop practical ways of overcoming current barriers.
BACKGROUND ON WORKING GROUPS
The UK5G Advisory Board (UK5G AB) has decided to create a number of working groups (WG), covering the following subject areas:
International Working Group
The UK has an ambition to be a world leader in 5G.
The UK Government’s Digital Strategy states that ‘We want the UK to take a leading role in the development and roll-out of 5G'. The aims of the DCMS 5G Testbed & Trials Programme include fostering the development of the UK’s 5G eco-system to ensure that the UK and UK businesses are well placed to maximise the efficiency and productivity benefits of 5G by:
- Creating opportunities for UK businesses, including SMEs, to develop new 5G applications and services that they can market at home and overseas.
- Creating a forum where 5G best practice and knowledge from across the UK can be shared and a clear brand for the UK’s 5G activities.
DCMS has identified three focussed activity areas in support of these international 5G aims:
Learnings - Learn from 5G approaches taken globally to inform our 5G Testbed & Trials Programme, 5G policy and help to shape the wider UK 5G eco-system.
Trade and Investment - Help to stimulate the 5G eco-system in the UK - and benefit to the UK overall - by exploring opportunities to create and expand footprints of 5G-related UK businesses overseas and helping to encourage appropriate inward investment into the UK 5G eco-system.
Perception – Gauge how the UK is viewed globally as one of the leading countries in 5G.
The objectives of this working group are likely to evolve over time, but in the short/medium term, they will include:
- Development of UK proposition: advice and support to Department for International Trade (DIT) and Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) in developing the UK’s 5G offer, to support their trade and investment activity.
- Development of engagement plan with overseas government and industry bodies
- Development of engagement plan at UK and overseas trade fairs and events
We are now looking for applications from registered UK5G members to join this working group.
This represents an exciting opportunity for a small number of experienced individuals to join the International Working Group and contribute to a significant national initiative. We envisage that members will have a diversity of experience, skills and insight derived both from the supply (telecoms) and demand (potential customers of 5G) side of industry.
In addition, required capabilities might also include:
- Senior responsibility for global sales, marketing and strategy
- Understanding of International Investment
- Expertise in 5G technologies and standards
- Deep sector knowledge for specific industries
The call for applications is open and will close at midday on 20th June. We will inform successful applicants by 2nd July.
If you would like to apply to join this group please submit your interest here.