Reporting on real-world use cases
In 2020, the UK Government’s Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) launched the Industrial 5G Testbeds and Trials (IG5TT) programme, coordinated by Digital Catapult. This has been one of the UK’s key programmes for experimentation and learning from early deployments of 5G within manufacturing and logistics, engaging with industry, telecoms experts, business groups and the academic sector.
Read how eight I5GTT project teams have been identifying the real-world benefits, challenges and considerations relating to 5G adoption through a wide range of use cases in manufacturing, transport and logistics.
- Using AV/VR devices (such as headsets) to support design, manufacturing and training, and provide access to on-the-spot support from remote experts
- Monitoring and tracking time-sensitive assets
- Providing real-time process monitoring and analytics, plus closed-loop control to reduce waste
- Switching autonomous vehicles from remote to manual operation
- Tracking and tracing assets to improve scheduling and performance
- Using AI to reduce traffic congestion and pollution while improving flow
- This report provides an update and insights on project results and learnings, as well as recommendations for future Industrial 5G implementation.